Charles Bukowski wrote that “Sadness is caused by intelligence, the more you understand certain things, the more you wish you didn’t understand them.”
In honor of Bukowski, here are his best quotes!
1) “The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts. While the stupid ones are full of confidence.” – Charles Bukowski
2) “Some people never go reckless. What truly horrible lives they must live.” – Charles Bukowski
3) “Find what you love and let it kill you.” – Charles Bukowski
4) “I wasn’t much for a petty thief. I wanted the whole world or nothing.” – Charles Bukowski
5) “You’ve to die a few times before you actually live.” – Charles Bukowski
6) “Genius might be the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way.”
7) “We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
8) “The less I needed, the better I felt.” – Charles Bukowski
9) “What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.” – Charles Bukowski
We have a funny Hemmingway joke for you!
10) “If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don’t even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives, and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. Isolation is a gift. All the others are a test of your endurance and how much you want to do it. And, you’ll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.” – Charles Bukowski
11) “We’re all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn’t. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing. ”
12) “The free soul is rare, but you know it when you see it – basically because you feel good, very good when you are near or with them.”
13) “The nine-to-five is one of the greatest atrocities sprung upon humans. You give your life away to a function that doesn’t interest you.”
14) “We must.. We must bring our own light to the darkness” – Charles Bukowski
15) “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.” ― Charles Bukowski
One thought on “Charles Bukowski Quotes To Make You Feel Human Again”
There’s a definite correlation between intelligence and depression. The better you understand the world and the more accurate your perception the more likely you will be miserable. I think too much reality is what killed Hemingway. If you can remain positive in the face of the truth you are a true champion.
LikeLiked by 1 person